22 July, 2007

Now, complete with Technicolor!

Can we say Post-processing up the wazoo?
© Anna 2007
(yes even the over-processed trademark flipflop tan line courtesy of South Florida)


It's no secret that I've been coveting a big girl camera for quite a while now. And when MAG™ bought me one, I was actually intimidated. What's a girl supposed to do with a gazillion settings and buttons? I read and re-read the manual until I ripped one of the pages out by mistake. I think I have the Simple Mode for Dummies™ down pat. You know, the setting where the camera actually shows exactly how much more intelligent it is than you and automatically adjusts itself for the best possible shot all by it's little demonic self. Sure, I adjust those setting a bit but, really, who am I kidding?

Sometimes, I rue the day when I got the dSLR. I mean, sure it's all technologically advanced and gorgeous but it's not the same as a SLR film camera. I can work a SLR film camera like it's nobody's business (Thanks dad! Oh and thanks for the love you taught me for Nikon!). I know film and film knows me. Maybe it's the comfort factor of shooting with film that I love or maybe it's because I actually know what I'm doing. Granted, it helps that I've been knowing what to do since I was 9 or so. But man, I'm struggling with my new camera like I was an idiot. I was thinking last night that maybe I should invest in some photography classes or even books so I can learn to use the damn camera that cost MAG™ a heart attack or two.

Besides that, the composition could use some work as well but that's just something that practice will give me. Shooting in RAW mode is quite interesting but I'll get the last few tweaks down soon. However, this mode allows me to have fun with the photos when I'm processing them. OMG the details! The color corrections! It's heaven, at least for me. You see, I have a penchant for controlling down to the most minimal detail of a photograph and now I can. Besides, where else am I going to get spectacular black and white photography or shots that are over saturated just enough to make them more dramatic? I'm such a geek, I admit it. Can you tell that my Nikon, my Toshiba and Photoshop CS2 (in the process of upgrading to CS3) are going to be the best of friends? I think so and it's such a bright future, I just gotta wear my shades.